An inquest into her death ruled that Allie, of Atherton in Wigan, Lancs, had a unique strain of E.coli which originated from Turkey.
Allie’s mum Katie, 36, said she was ‘grateful’ to have some answers and hoped that no other family would suffer like hers.
Speaking after the inquest today, Katie said: ‘Losing our little Allie so tragically and suddenly was heartbreaking for us all, and it’s still incredibly difficult to think we’ll never see her again.
Her parents took the impossible decision to switch off her life support after Allie suffered brain damage
‘When she was admitted to hospital, we were all praying she would pull through. To be told she had suffered brain damage was absolutely devastating.
‘The whole experience has been nothing short of traumatic and we have lost a huge part of our lives.
‘Allie had her whole life ahead of her before it was snatched away in the cruellest way possible. Her death is something we’ll never get over.
‘Sadly nothing can turn back the clock and bring our princess back to us, but we’re grateful that the inquest is over and we at least have some answers.
‘All we can hope for now is that others don’t have to suffer like our family has.’
Allie Birchall was rushed to hospital with stomach cramps and diarrhoea after returning from a 10-day break at Antalya’s Crystal Sunset Luxury Resort and Spa in July 2019.
She was diagnosed with Shiga-Toxin producing E.coli (STEC).
She then developed Haemolytic Uraemic Syndrome (HUS), a potentially fatal blood condition linked to STEC which can lead to kidney failure and brain damage.
She tragically died on August 3 and a post mortem found her cause of death was brain damage and other complications associated with HUS and STEC.
Jatinder Paul, the Senior Associate Solicitor at Irwin Mitchell representing Allie’s family, said: ‘Allie’s death continues to have a profound effect on her family, including her mum Katie who in particular is understandably still struggling to come to terms with what they’ve all been through.
‘While we can’t change what happened, Allie’s family at least now have some answers as to why she was taken from them so soon.
‘The dangers of gastric illnesses and infections should never be downplayed. E.coli is extremely serious and can result in long-term health problems and in the worst cases, such as this, death.