A mother has revealed how her ‘hero’ dog saved her baby’s life by breaking into her nursery when the pet realized that she had stopped breathing.
Kelly Andrew, an author from Boston, explained that her young daughter wasn’t feeling well, and their Boston Terrier, Henry, was very concerned.
He kept pushing the nursery’s door open with his head so that he could check on the little girl – and his move ultimately saved her life.
The writer said she began to get ‘fed up’ with Henry’s antics, since the baby was trying to sleep and he kept waking her up. But Henry could tell something was wrong and he kept persisting.
At one point, when she went to get Henry out of the room, she noticed that the baby had stopped breathing – and was turning ‘blue.’
She and her husband, Jeff, rushed her to the hospital, where doctors were thankfully able to clear out the baby’s airways.
‘Last night the dog kept breaking into the nursery and waking the baby. She’s been sick, and I was getting so fed up with him,’ the mom-of-two explained on Twitter.
‘Until she stopped breathing. We spent the night in the hospital. I don’t know what would have happened if he hadn’t woken her. We don’t deserve dogs.’
Kelly’s moving story quickly went viral, gaining more than 27,000 retweets and 230,000 likes since it was posted earlier this week.
She also opened up about it during an interview with Good Morning America, explaining, ‘He was head-butting the door open and going into her room and standing there. Every time I shoo’d him away he would go back in.’
Kelly explained that she thought her baby had a head cold, but suddenly, it got much worse.
‘She wasn’t clearing her airway. She turned blue and had gone rigid. She couldn’t get air, she couldn’t get any oxygen,’ she continued.
In an update hours later, Kelly revealed that they were home from the hospital and that the baby was doing ‘much better.’
She wrote: ‘Thanks for all the well wishes, everyone. The baby is doing much better today and we are home with Henry, who bravely held the fort all night even though he is scared of the dark.’
She also said that since the terrifying incident, she has treated Henry like the ‘king of the castle,’ which is ‘no different than any other day.’
Her husband also told GMA that the pup definitely had a ‘steak’ coming in his near future.
People quickly started to reply to her post and share stories of their own dogs being heroes.
One person wrote, ‘That’s so scary! I’m glad your baby is on the mend. One time hubs was out of town, and our dog jumped on my chest and barked in my face until I woke up.
‘The house was full of smoke – I’d left the fireplace on and the stockings were smoldering. Our dog saved our daughter and me.’