Triplets are the dream of many families. If you’ve always dreamed of having triplets then you’d be ɢʟᴀᴅ to know that there are ways to conceive them naturally. From fertility assistance to lifestyle tips and techniques, here is everything you need to know about triplet births and also how to increase your chances of conceiving triplets naturally.
Monozygotic- Where the embryo splits into three identical ones, thus giving birth to babies of the same ɢᴇɴᴅᴇʀ and ɢᴇɴᴇs
Dizygotic – Each ᴇᴍʙʀʏᴏ ɢᴇᴛs Fᴇʀᴛɪʟɪᴢᴇᴅ ʙʏ sᴇᴘᴀʀᴀᴛᴇ sᴘᴇʀᴍs. The babies may or may not be of the same sᴇx or either carry the same ɢᴇɴᴇs.
Another way triplets are formed are when an embryo gives birth to twins and are followed by another one that gets Fᴇʀᴛɪʟɪᴢᴇᴅ sᴇᴘᴀʀᴀᴛᴇʟʏ. This is fondly referred to by mothers as ‘a pair and a spare’ which indicates that the spare baby may be of different ɢᴇɴᴅᴇʀ and genetic disposition than the twins. The twins, however, will carry the same DNA.
Getting triplets isn’t something that happens to everyone. In fact, there is a good chance that you may not know any couples who have triplets. If you’re curious about your odds of having triplets, then here are some facts you need to know-
- You must have a family history of birthing triplets
- You must be 30 years or older since older women have higher chances of conceiving triplets
- You must come from a family that has a history of hyper-ovulation
- There is a 1 in 9000 chance of conceiving triplets according to Australian research
- You have a 1 in 40 chance of birthing triplets if you take fertility assistance