Mentally ill killer, 59, ‘rapes and suffocates his mother, 83, with a pillow’ – 28 years after murdering his grandmother – in case that has shocked Greece
- Man was arrested Wednesday after suspicions were raised over mother’s death
- It is believed he raped and killed her, then washed and dressed her body
- Funeral director sounded the alarm when the man wanted an immediate burial
- A police officer also recalled the victim’s mother had been killed by grandson
- These two suspicions led to an autopsy being carried out on the mother
- Local media reported the man previously spent time in a psychiatric hospital
A mentally ill killer has been accused of raping and suffocating his 83-year-old mother with a pillow, in a case that has shocked Greece.
The allegations were made even more shocking when it was revealed that the same 59-year-old murdered his grandmother 28 years earlier.
According to the medical examiner, the death of Victoria Papastergiou was caused by strangulation. She was killed near the town of Grevena, northern Greece on Tuesday, according to Greek newspaper ProtoThema.
Local reports said the man washed and dressed his mother’s body in a bid to disguise her true cause of death, while authorities believe he raped her while he was suffocating her.
He has been charged with manslaughter and rape, as ‘recent findings of sexual intercourse were also identified’ by the medical examiner, officials said.
The man reportedly confessed to killing his mother to police after he was arrested.